The Most Common Dental Implant Materials
Dental implants are typically made of titanium, which is a biocompatible metal well-tolerated by the body. Some dental implants are made of zirconia, a type of similarly biocompatible ceramic. Dentists use these materials because they’re strong, durable, and can fuse with the bone over time, providing a secure foundation for replacement teeth.
- Titanium: As the most commonly used material for dental implants, titanium implants have been successfully implemented for decades. The material fuses with the bone over time in a process known as osseointegration. This process is necessary for the foundation that secures the replacement teeth in place.
- Zirconia: A more aesthetically pleasing choice, zirconia is a white material that blends in well with natural teeth. It doesn’t corrode or cause metal allergies. Zirconia only requires a one-piece construction, whereas titanium requires three pieces.
Are There Alternative Implant Material Options?
While titanium and zirconia are the most popular dental implant materials, there are a few other alternatives, including:
- Ceramics: Certain ceramics may be used in creating an implant. Their properties are durable and stable, making them an ideal option. However, some of its properties are slightly brittle, limiting its ability to be a longer-lasting solution.
- Polymers: Some polymers are biodegradable and have an easily altered composition, making them a possible choice. However, they may not be as durable as other options.
- Alternative Metals: Other metals that can be used for implants include gold, stainless steel, and cobalt-chromium. While they may pose as long-lasting, durable tooth replacement solutions, they have lower success rates than zirconia and titanium.
When it comes to finding dental implants that best suit your needs, it’s essential to have a dentist who’s always working with you and keeping your goals in mind. Finding a dental implant provider with vast experience, proper accreditation, and your best interest as their priority is key to a successful treatment.
High-Quality Dental Implants at Desert Hills Dental Care
At Desert Hills Dental Care, our Farmington dentists only use the highest-quality materials for dental implant treatments. For your convenience, our implant dentists offer various treatments including single–tooth dental implants, implant-supported bridges, and all-on-four dental implants. Schedule your appointment today to learn more about your oral health and to determine if dental implants are best for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Titanium is a strong and durable metal that’s been used in the medical field for many years. It has a record of success as a dental implant material and is well-tolerated by the body.
Zirconia is a newer material in the dental implant field. It’s a type of ceramic that’s biocompatible and is seen as a more aesthetically minded choice. However, it has less strength than titanium and is less flexible.
The future of dental implants is filled with innovations and constant advancements in technology and materials. While the construction and use of dental implants have already come a long way, the future will likely be filled with alternative solutions that improve the entire implant treatment. For example, it could soon be possible to use stem cells in the implementation process.
Learn More About Dental Implants
For those wondering if dental implants are a safe and effective option for a tooth replacement, get in touch with our Farmington dentists. With vast experience in implant dentistry, they’ll be sure to get you the care you need and answer any questions you may have about dental implants and how they can benefit your health.