Comfortable & Attractive Alternatives To Metal Fillings
Dental fillings are used to repair damaged teeth by filling in any holes, gaps, or cracks, and they’re also a reliable way to help prevent further damage from occurring. While metal fillings have proven useful as part of dentistry for years, they may not be the most beneficial solution. That’s why, at Desert Hills Dental Care, our team of talented dentists are proud to offer mercury-free dentistry in the form of tooth-colored fillings.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings, also called mercury-free fillings, white fillings, and composite fillings, are fillings made of materials other than metal, such as composite resin or porcelain. Similar to traditional metal fillings, tooth-colored fillings can be used to repair damage and prevent further damage in teeth. However, the lack of metal in these fillings gives them some distinct advantages that make them the ideal treatment option.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
With tooth-colored fillings, your Farmington dentist can restore your smile while avoiding many of the pitfalls associated with metal. Some of the benefits of tooth-colored fillings include:
- Natural Appearance – Tooth-colored fillings are customized to blend seamlessly with your smile.
- Non-Staining – These non-metallic fillings won’t stain or darken your teeth as time goes on.
- Non-Toxic – Because there’s no metal in these fillings, there’s no mercury, lead or other potentially toxic, allergenic substances commonly found in metals.
- Non-Conductive – No metal means there’s no chance of galvanic shock. Galvanic shock occurs when two metal fillings of differing compositions interact and a current passes between them, shocking the inside of your mouth.
- Thermal Resistance – Unlike metal fillings, tooth-colored fillings won’t expand or contract in response to hot and cold, putting less pressure on the tooth and reducing sensitivity.
- Preserves Enamel – The materials used in these non-metallic fillings require less of your natural tooth be removed, helping to preserve the tooth’s structure.
- Sets Instantly – Tooth-colored fillings are applied in layers and hardened instantaneously with a handheld blue light, so you don’t have to wait for them to set.
The Tooth-Colored Filling Process
Before receiving your filling, you’ll undergo an initial consultation with one of our expert dentists to determine if this restoration is right for you. During your initial consultation, one of our dental professionals will thoroughly examine your mouth, review your medical history, and discuss your oral health goals with you.
Before your dentist applies your filling, we’ll conduct a meticulous cleaning of your mouth and apply a local anesthetic or dental sedation method. Once your tooth is numb, your dentist will remove any decayed or damaged material from the tooth to make room for the filling.
Applying Your Tooth-Colored Filling
Your dentist will apply your filling in layers, hardening each layer as they go using a handheld blue light. After the filling has been applied, your dentist may also apply a porcelain crown to help reinforce and protect the tooth. Once your tooth has been filled and fully reconstructed, you’ll leave our Farmington office and be able to start enjoying your new smile.
Frequently Asked Questions
The cost of your mercury free fillings will depend on a number of factors including the amount of fillings needed, the extent of the damage, and your insurance coverage. We recommend contacting your dental insurance provider ahead of time to learn what your plan will cover.
Because we believe cost should be no barrier to receiving effective dental treatment, we also offer third-party financing through Care-Credit to help make treatment more affordable.
Tooth-colored fillings are usually made of a mix of composite materials such as high quality quartz and resin. Your dentist can provide details about the exact composition of your fillings during your initial consultation.
Tooth-colored fillings can last ten to twelve years before they need to be replaced. The longevity of your tooth-colored fillings will depend on you maintaining regular oral hygiene and keeping up with your bi-annual dental exams at Desert Hills Dental Care.
Choose Tooth-Colored Fillings For A Healthier Smile
Desert Hills Dental Care is committed to maintaining your overall health, which is why we maintain a mercury-free office and utilize non-metallic fillings. To schedule an appointment with one of our dentists at our Farmington office, dial (505) 327-4863. You can also submit our online contact form and a friendly team member will get back to you shortly.