Learn How You Can Receive Dental Crowns in Just One Visit
Dental crowns restore the function and appearance of damaged or weakened teeth, and advancements in digital technology have made it possible to place permanent crowns in just one visit. Read on to discover if same-day crowns are right for you.
Our Farmington dentist will give you the knowledge you need to understand what the best treatment for your needs is.
What Are Same-Day Crowns?
Same-day crowns, also known as CEREC crowns(Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics), are custom-made dental restorations that can be designed, fabricated, and placed in a single visit to specific dental offices. They restore the function and appearance of damaged, decayed, or weakened teeth.
What Is CEREC?
CEREC technology is a groundbreaking dental innovation that combines computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) to create custom dental restorations. It revolutionizes the traditional process of crafting dental crowns, making it more efficient and precise.
Benefits of Same-Day Crowns
Same-day dental crowns offer several advantages over traditional dental crown restorations. Here are some key benefits that make CEREC crowns an excellent choice for patients:
- Time Efficiency: With CEREC technology, the entire crown restoration process can be completed in a single dental visit. This eliminates the need for multiple appointments and temporary crowns.
- Accurate and Precise: CAD/CAM technology ensures precise measurements, resulting in well-fitted crowns that feel comfortable and natural in your mouth.
- Biocompatible Materials: A CEREC crown is made from high-quality ceramic materials that are biocompatible, meaning they’re safe for your oral health and don’t cause allergies or sensitivities.
- Aesthetically Pleasing: The ceramic material used in a CEREC crown closely resembles the natural color and translucency of teeth, providing a seamless and esthetically pleasing result.
- Durable and Long-lasting: CEREC crowns are known for their durability and longevity. When properly cared for, they can last for many years, offering reliable tooth restoration.
How Do CEREC Crowns Work?
CEREC crowns utilize computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) technology to streamline the entire process of creating customized dental restorations. Instead of multiple visits to the dentist, you can restore your smile in just one appointment.
Here’s how it works:
- Digital Impression: Instead of taking physical impressions, your dentist will use a specialized intraoral scanner to capture a 3D image of your teeth and gums.
- Designing the Crown: The digital impression is sent to a computer where your dentist will use CAD software to create a virtual model of your dental crown. This model allows for precise customization and adjustments.
- Milling Process: Once the design is finalized, it’s sent to a milling machine that crafts the crown from a solid block of ceramic material. This process takes only a matter of minutes.
- Placement and Bonding: After the crown is milled, our dentist will check its fit and appearance before bonding it to your tooth using dental cement. The crown is then polished to achieve a natural look and feel.
Caring for Same-Day Crowns
To ensure that your same-day crown lasts as long as possible, make sure you’re doing the following:
- Pristine Oral Hygiene Routine: Maintain good oral hygiene practices, including brushing your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristle toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Floss daily to remove plaque and debris from between teeth and along the gumline. Use an antibacterial mouthwash as recommended by your dentist.
- Avoid Hard or Sticky Foods: Be cautious when consuming hard, crunchy, or sticky foods that can potentially damage or dislodge the crown. Chewing on ice, hard candies, or using your teeth to open packages should be avoided to prevent unnecessary stress on the crown.
- Attend Regular Dental Appointments: Attend regular dental checkups and professional cleanings as advised by our dentist. These visits allow the dentist to assess the condition of your dental crown, identify any issues early on, and perform necessary maintenance or adjustments.
- Use a Night Guard or Bite Splint: If you have a habit of grinding or clenching your teeth (bruxism), your dentist may recommend wearing a nightguard or bite splint to protect your dental crown and natural teeth from excessive force and wear.
- Avoid Tobacco and Limit Staining Substances: Tobacco products, such as cigarettes or chewing tobacco, can stain the dental crown and compromise its appearance. You may also consider limiting the consumption of staining substances like coffee, tea, red wine, or colored beverages to maintain the natural color of the crown.
- Address Concerns Promptly: If you experience any discomfort, or sensitivity, or notice a change in the fit or appearance of the dental crown, contact your dentist promptly for an evaluation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the CEREC process safe?
Yes, the CEREC process is safe. Digital impressions eliminate the need for traditional messy impressions, reducing discomfort for patients. Additionally, the ceramic materials used in CEREC restorations are biocompatible and well-tolerated by oral tissues.
How long do CEREC restorations last?
With proper oral hygiene practices and regular dental checkups, CEREC restorations can last for many years, similar to traditional restorations. However, individual factors such as oral habits, bite forces, and maintenance routines can impact the lifespan of the restorations.
Are same-day dental crowns more expensive than traditional crowns?
The cost of same-day dental crowns can vary depending on the dentist and the location. Generally, same-day crowns may be slightly more expensive than traditional crowns due to the advanced technology and materials used. Same-day crowns can also save you money in the long run by reducing the number of dental visits needed and the associated costs.
Transform Your Smile in Just One Appointment
Same-day crowns are an excellent option for patients who require dental restorations but cannot commit to multiple dental appointments or waiting periods. With the use of digital technology, same-day dental crowns have revolutionized the way dental restorations are performed.